Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Holy Smokes!


We (here in Chicago) are in the middle of an incredible blizzard. I haven't seen the wind like this in years. So tomorrow there aren't any schools open and I'd be surprised if any business are open either. We have only had one snow day in my ten years teaching first grade. The kids were sooo excited today just to have a snow day. I'm sure in June we will be kicking ourselves for this day off. Oh well, I'd rather be off tomorrow than in June. Because I'll be home I'm hoping to get some blogging, scrapping and some projects done. Since I went back to school for my masters it's hard to find time for the fun things. Anyway, here are a few pictures from the last few weeks.

Groundhogs day is tomorrow. The kids really love to hear about Phil, the groundhog. We read several stories about him and then make our predictions. With the snowstorm him, most of the kids said he will not see his shadow and spring will be here real soon. Looking out my window I doubt it.


During math last week we were skip counting by 5's so we decided to use our hands to help us count. Each child had 2 hands to decorate. Then we went along and numbered them by 5's. They really turned out cute. These pictures don't show the whole picture.


So, this Friday is the 100th day of school. The kids (and teachers) can't wait for it. We've been counting down forever, it seems. For the special day the kids will come to school dressed up like they are 100 years old. It's a riot! They have canes, walkers, their hair is gray and they look awesome. We take a walk around the whole school, in and out of all the classes and the rest of the school loves to see us. We also have a full day of 100 activities (which we already started to do). This is one of the favorite days in kindergarten and first grade.
Well, back to some blogging. I am so lucky to have found so many awesome teachers who share their ideas. I will try to have more to post soon.  Thanks for stopping by and sharing. Happy Ground Hog Day!!  Think Spring!!

No comments: