Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Eggs Have Arrived!





Every year I pull out the old incubator (it's from 1989 when I used to teach 4th grade) and we try to hatch baby chicks. The kids love it. We get 24 eggs and share them with the other first grade. The kids take turns turning the eggs 3times a day and hopefully in 21 days we get baby chicks. I have always been real lucky with this project and have had good batches. This is what the kids look forward to in first grade. It is fun to do.

Here is one of my favorite books to read to the kids while we are doing the chicks. It's about a man who lives in NYC in an apartment. He puts his hand out the window through the bars to check the weather and a bird begins to build a nest and lays eggs it in. The man stands there and doesn't pull his hand inside while the mother bird sits on the eggs and waits for them to hatch. Meanwhile life goes on below him. It's such an awesome story. This year when I read it I am going to either hold the nest while I read the story or have a student hold the nest. This nest was on my lamppost on my front porch last summer and I just had to keep it after the babies were born and gone. I hope this goes well. Sorry about the bad picture. I can't figure out how and why the picture came out sideways. Anyway, the book is called ALBERT by Donna Jo Napoli.





No comments: